Tips for Sparkling Teeth
A sparkling smile can be a great asset, but not everyone has a naturally sparkly smile. In fact, you may notice that your smile becomes dull and stained as the years go by. This is a natural process: The porous enamel on your teeth absorbs stains from the foods and drinks you enjoy every day. Enamel can also become worn, which allows the darker dentin to show. Keeping your smile bright does not have to be a full-time job if you incorporate a few simple tricks into your daily routine.
1. Skip coffee, soda, wine and mouthwash. These contain staining substances that can make your teeth look yellow.
2. Brush two times a day. This removes plaque from your teeth. Plaque is sticky and absorbs stains, but it also can harden into tartar, which absorbs even more stains. Don’t forget to floss to remove plaque from between teeth.
3. Eat firm fruits and veggies for between-meal snacks. Apples, pears, celery and similar fruits and veggies are fibrous and mechanically scrub teeth while stimulating saliva flow for healthier teeth.
4. Drink milk. Dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese contain tooth-building calcium and vitamin D, but they also coat the teeth to prevent stains from absorbing.
5. Visit us regularly. Regular dental checkups and cleanings can help remove that pesky tartar and can even remove superficial stains.
If your teeth continue to look dull or dingy, you may need a teeth whitening treatment. Call us to find out more or to schedule your next checkup with our expert in tooth whitening in West Hollywood.